Subject: Fw: TOP TEN HUBBLE PHOTOS >>>>
From: "Donald mcGregor" <[email-masked]>
To: undisclosed-recipients
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:02:41 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Subject: TOP TEN HUBBLE PHOTOS >>>>

Please let me know if sending pictures causes a problem for you.

don

 

 

Awesome & beautiful -- the enormity of the universe is barely conceivable..
and some scientists believe we may exist in a multi-universe!   

 

 

Hubble telescope's top ten greatest space photographs

 

 

The Sombrero Galaxy - 28 million light years from Earth - was voted best
picture taken by the Hubble telescope.  The dimensions of the galaxy,
officially called M104, are as spectacular as its appearance.  It has 800
billion suns and is 50,000 light years across. 

 

 

The Ant Nebula, a cloud of dust and gas whose technical name is Mz3,
resembles an ant when observed using ground-based telescopes.  The nebula
lies within our galaxy between 3,000 and 6,000 light years from Earth. 

 

 

In third place is Nebula NGC 2392, called Eskimo because it looks like a
face surrounded by a furry hood.  The hood is, in fact, a ring of
comet-shaped objects flying away from a dying star.  Eskimo is 5,000 light
years from Earth.   

 

 

At four is the Cat's Eye Nebula, which looks like the eye of disembodied
sorcerer Sauron from Lord of the Rings. 

 

 

The Hourglass Nebula, 8,000 light years away, has a pinched-in-the-middle
look because the winds that shape it are weaker at the centre.    

 

 

In sixth place is the Cone Nebula.  The part pictured here is 2.5 light
years in length (the equivalent of 23 million return trips to the Moon).   

 

 

The Perfect Storm, a small region in the Swan Nebula, 5,500 light years away
 described as 'a bubbly ocean of hydrogen and small amounts of oxygen,
sulphur and other elements'.  

 

 

Starry Night, so named because it reminded astronomers of the Van Gogh
painting.  It is a halo of light around a star in the Milky Way.  

 

 

The glowering eyes from 114 million light years away are the swirling cores
of two merging galaxies called NGC 2207 and IC 2163 in the distant Canis
Major constellation.   

 

 

The Trifid Nebula.  A 'stellar nursery', 9,000 light years from here, it is
where new stars are being born.   

Keep unwanted email out.

Visit www.spamsubtract.com for more information.